Sunday, September 7, 2014

BLACKFISH

Blackfish, a film directed by Gabriela Cowperthwaite, is one that I'd been anticipating and planning on watching for a while. I, personally, feel very passionately about the unethical treatment of orca whales in captivity. I was extremely curious to see what the film had to offer in terms of information, and also curious to see what kind of bias the film carried throughout.

For some reason, I expected a lot more out of the film visually. I thought going into it that it would be a lot more beautiful than it was, but understanding that it is strictly a documentary; this did not make me think negatively of the film.

The film covers such a broad spectrum of sources, such as old Seaworld trainers who understand that what was happening was wrong. I found it so interesting that they were using former Seaworld employees to testify AGAINST Seaworld. They mentioned that the employees were so painfully misinformed on what was going on in the facility, and that made me think a lot.

Surprisingly, it keeps an unbiased perspective. It is a mature approach to the topic and manages to persuade you without simply putting down Seaworld or Waterworld or whatever company it is informing you about.

I found Blackfish to be passionate, informative, and smart. It was touching and made you take a step back and look at what you thought was a pleasant experience as a child and realize it for what it was. It gets an excellent point across while managing to really persuade you in a professional, intelligent manner.


No comments:

Post a Comment